Wedding Photography: Shannon & Jason

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , , by:

Late summer wedding photography.  Photography session was scheduled at 2:30 but things got little delayed as usual wedding day.   I loved the inside of the academy chapel located in downtown Vancouver, Wa.   We used just one Elinchrom Quadra with an white shoot though umbrella and head was plugged in B socket.  It was plenty of power and recycle time was just immediate.  

I wanted to shoot quick outside the church shot.  Here, as you can see, it was shot bright sunny day.  It was really hard to over power the sun with 400w Elinchrom Quadra.  I just wanted to fill any shadow on the good looking subjects.  Lighting was on full power on camera right.  
I wasn't able to shoot without flash because of harsh shadow (it was very bright sunny day).  Quadra on camera right on almost full power.  A gold reflector would have been nice as long as they could see me without closing eyes  .
some candid shots before the ceremony


and after the ceremony
on the way to the reception, we decided to stop by waterfront.  I shot this with natural light.  My original shot was backlit pretty bad and I wasn't able to see subject.  I shot the image so that background was little over exposed yet the subject was underexposed.  I post processed the raw image in Lightroom and it was easy to do since I shoot everything Raw.  

I shot this with Elinchrom Quadra on camera left.  Little harsh but I think be able to shoot at F16 for small to medium size group on a very sunny day is pretty impressive.  I've never seen any wedding photographer bring studio lighting gear to shoot outdoor portrait on a busy wedding day.  Elinchrom Quadra is small and light enough to bring all day and my assistant, David is so much happier as well.

Dance with father picture.  I used a fisheye lens to capture dramatic moment.  Back of the stage, I placed two Nikon SB 26s and triggered via pocket wizard.  They are gelled (CTO) to match with ambient light. 

Inside the ball room was just totally dark.  
David backlighted using Quadra and I bounced the light using the back wall.  
We used a LED modeling light of Elinchrom Quadra with 1/2 CTO gel. White balance was tricky since the office building on the back was fluorescent and mixed with incandescent light. 
 Fisheye, ISO 3200, shutter speed at 1/20.  I love 5D Mark II